CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Fri., 11/7 Jeffrey Wechsler  (Read 5387 times)

magus

Fri., 11/7 Jeffrey Wechsler
« on: November 07, 2014, 08:58:17 AM »
THEME:   substitution of N for T in common phrases

GOOD ONES:     
Why the kids can hardly sleep at night?   MOM AND POP SNORE [store]   
…motto for Jessica Fletcher?   SHE SNOOPS TO CONQUER [stoops]   
File extension   TAB [I've been trained to think computers when I see files --- I forgot about "real" files]   
Gang leader?   OUR   
13 for Al, e.g.   AT NO [atomic number, not Gore's billions]   

BTW:   
Come up short   OWE [they're not close enough --- the phrase means unexpectedly to lack money for something; to owe means merely an obligation to pay]   

RATING: ;D ;D ;D   
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

Thomps2525

Re: Fri., 11/7 Jeffrey Wechsler
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 12:41:39 PM »
Another crossword with 42 black squares. A good puzzle should have 32 or 36. A really good puzzle should have 30 or fewer. I keep telling these guys that 42 is too many but they won't listen to me!

magus

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 09:26:13 AM »
Rewind---

When I submitted a puzzle with "too many" blocks, the editor (Will Weng?) told me that the number was determined because more blocks meant more clues which took up too much space.  If space is not a problem, what difference does it make? (to quote Hillary).  The puzzles with more blocks function the same as those with fewer, and form unrelated to function seems an unnecessary "block" to creativity.

Thomps2525

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 07:41:25 PM »
Most newspapers no longer print daily television listings or stock quotations. They should have plenty of room for crossword clues!

Usually, a higher number of black squares means a higher number of short words. Such puzzles are relatively easy to compose. The November 8 Times puzzle has only 28 black squares and includes twelve ten-letter words. It likely took considerably more effort and creativity to compose than a puzzle with 40 or 42 black squares. If you can quote Hillary, I can quote Shania: A crossword with 42 black squares "don't impress me much."

Jon-O

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 11:55:07 PM »
I agree that 42 blocks is a lot to put in a 15x15 puzzle, and that even 40 is a bit many.  My understanding, though, is that the general (loose) limit is no more than one-sixth of the squares should be blocks (which comes out to 37.5 for a 15x15).  I haven't seen anywhere where the old limit was 32 blocks -- that seems like it would be very difficult to fill.  I don't think it's fair to compare the number of blocks in a themeless to the number in a themed puzzle, though.

Thomps2525

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 03:56:29 PM »
Jon, as soon as you finish constructing a crossword with 37.5 black squares, be sure to post it here! :)