CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Wed., 10/29 Allan E. Parrish  (Read 3691 times)

magus

Wed., 10/29 Allan E. Parrish
« on: October 29, 2014, 09:21:54 AM »
THEME:   last word of a phrase rhymes with "muse" --- but it's a covert theme leaving the uninitiated nescient

GOOD ONES:    
Place for private dining?   MESS   
Growing concern?   FARM   

BTW:   
Part of 10/29/14   SLASH [more formally it's a virgule]   

A's and Jay's   ALERS [I liked the rhyme but ALERS does not exist except in Xwords]   

RATING:    :D
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

Thomps2525

Re: Wed., 10/29 Allan E. Parrish
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 05:40:20 PM »
ALERS and NLERS have appeared in several puzzles recently. Any time one crossword creator decides to include an answer that isn't really a word, other puzzle makers will soon be using it. XER, short for "Generation X'er", is another non-word that is appearing more frequently. I don't even think that "Generation X'er" is a legitimate term.

Today's puzzle referenced the old adminition to "mind your P's and Q's" The expression dates from 1779. In the early days of newspaper publishing, all the type had to be set by hand. A large wooden box with around 50 compartments held all the hundreds of thousands of pieces of type. P's and Q's were in adjacent compartments and a typesetter had to be careful to not confuse a P with a Q and vice-versa. Otherwise we might have wound up with a "crossword quzzle."

And today's puzzle included Roman numerals. This is the 21st century. I do not want to see Roman numerals in crosswords. I don't want to see them in copyright data either. Or chapters of a book. Or Super Bowl names. Or titles of movie sequels. Or albums by Chicago. Or.....