Forum > General Discussion

Quick feedback on a theme?

(1/2) > >>

acpracht:
Hi, all,
I'm trying a slightly less crazy/ambitious theme, just to try to get one of my puzzles published and start getting my name out there.

I'm trying out this one, which is a simple "SS" addition to common terms/phrases to create a new, jokey answer. The theme answers would be:

aluminum foSSil (14)
frolick gaSSily (14)
ice floSSes (10)
treSSed cat (10)

With the current grid design, there will be several other 10-square slots that are not themed, but there are no non-theme answers longer than 10. My understanding is most publishers find this acceptable, correct?

Thanks, everyone, for your help with guiding the newbie.

-Adam

mmcbs:
Usually the themers are the longest entries (except sometimes if they're all across entries, there might be down entries that are the same or longer).

The hallmark of letter adds/switches is that the original phrase is a common, well understood saying or phrase, thus in your example #1 & 3 are OK, but #2 & 4 are not (also "frolick" is not a real word, the k is only used in frolicked and frolicking).

The other facet is that the converted phrase is clever and/or amusing, as a punch line of a joke would be. Some are funny in their own right (Prince of Waddles is one I've used), others need help from the clue. So, try cluing these and showing them to a friend to see if he/she thinks they're funny.

acpracht:
Thanks for the feedback.
Do you think that "Treed Fox" would be a common enough phrase?

mmcbs:
Don't take my word for it. Go to Google News and put the search phrases ALUMINUM FOIL, ICE FLOE, TREED CAT, and TREED FOX. The results will tell you what's a common phrase and what isn't.

acpracht:
Gave up on that theme entry... Going with:
Aluminum foSSil
GraSSy matter
ClaSSy pigeon
DiSSed suddenly

Attaching my grid fill as a pdf. I have alternate/backup plans for most of the questionable/borderline entries, so if you see one that's particularly egregious, please point it out and I'll let you know my alternate thoughts.
Thanks for your help!

-Adam

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version