CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Sun., 10/19 Frank Virzi  (Read 3342 times)

magus

Sun., 10/19 Frank Virzi
« on: October 19, 2014, 10:05:45 AM »
THEME:   last two words of phrase is a baseball term; first two words form a different phrase

GOOD ONES:    
Concertina heist?  SQUEEZE BOX SCORE   
Writing implement for Vatican edicts?   PAPAL BULL PEN   {if you happen to know what a papal bull is, you may be interested in the novel A Second Encyclical which I highly recommend.}
Cutting rooms?: Abbr.   OR'S   
Pot boiler   STOVE [with STO I was sure STORY was right]   

BTW:   
Idiot box   TEEVEE [maybe, but watching a lot of it would help in identifying:  SOBE; "Back in Black" band; Ricky Ricardo's catchphrase; Duran Duran basist NIGEL John Taylor; "Kung Fu" actor Philip AHN; Katy Perry hit "Part OF ME"; and "Stillmatic" rapper NAS.  (Maybe the idiocy is using so many of these idiot box denizens.)]   

"Let's get started!"   HERE WE GO ["tin earism," probably from watching too much TV]   

Some, in Potsdam   EINES [but not in London --- same with Parisian hot times ETES.]   

Low plants   BUSHES [actually they're higher than most plants --- only trees are taller than most bushes:  maybe TV's NATGEO would help]  :)   

RATING: ;D ;D   
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

Thomps2525

Re: Sun., 10/19 Frank Virzi
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 03:24:10 PM »
Merl Reagle's puzzle in today's Los Angeles Times includes six answers that are portions of a phrase: ABELL, ABUS, ITUP, ONAHOT, ONRED, and UNS (the last part of the dialectic word "young'uns"). Editors used to reject puzzles with such fragments. Today's theme was "Cliché couples, revisited." It is a sequel to a puzzle that Reagle did two years ago and contains two-word phrases that we always use without really knowing why, such as BROADDAYLIGHT, CRASHINGBORE, FLIMSYEXCUSE, IDLERUMORS, PERFECTSTRANGER and UNMITIGATEDGALL. He makes a good point. Why is gall always described as unmitigated? Why is an excuse always described as flimsy? What makes daylight broad? Are there any kinds of bores besides crashing bores?

Reagle used two words that I was unfamiliar with. ULALUME was an 1847 poem by Edgar Allan Poe. The title is believed to refer to his wife Virginia, who had died in January of that year. ANTA was the answer to "Architectural pier." The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines ANTA as "a pier produced by thickening a wall at its termination." "Pier" is another name for "pillar." So I've learned a new word...but I doubt I'll ever be able to use it in a conversation.