CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Sat., 10/18 Julian Lim  (Read 4594 times)

magus

Sat., 10/18 Julian Lim
« on: October 18, 2014, 09:57:28 AM »
THEME:   none

GOOD ONES:    
Lee side: Abbr.   CSA [I though weather not generals]   
TV cooking show?   BREAKING BAD [meth cooking]   
Juice amounts?   WATTS   
Encouraging start?   ATTA [atta boy!]   

BTW:   
Like some self-appointed critics   ARTSY [don't see how they're relatated --- why is a self-appointed critic artsy, or what's artsy about being a self-appointed critic --- any adjective, e.g. tall, could define ARTSY and be as apt]   

Dollar bill depiction, familiarly   US SEAL [that is the Great Seal, and what is "familiar" about it?]   

Guess I'm too old to comment fairly on "Super Mario Galaxy systems"; ARYA Stark; WAR CRAFT based on "Azeroth"; "Raise Your Glass" singer; the singer PINK (just saw the group PINK on Kimmel); but it appears these puzzles continue to stress pop culture over traditional culture, and for a curmudgeon like me I say, "Bah, humbug!"  And, isn't curmudgeon a SEXIST term?  It is never applied to women.  What about references to the culture of good, old Euro males, like George Eliot!   

RATING:    ;D ;D
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

rbe

Re: Sat., 10/18 Julian Lim
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 11:34:40 AM »
Houdini's birth name was Erik Weisz.

Thomps2525

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 04:52:43 PM »
Houdini's real first name was Erich...or Erik...or Ehrik...or Ehrick. His last name was Weisz...or Weiss...or he changed his last name from Weisz to Weiss...or a US immigration official misspelled Weisz as Weiss. I'm glad we have so many resources online so we can get so many different answers! Now if we could just figure out which is correct. Most biographers agree that he took the name of Harry after his childhood nickname of "Eri"...or "Ehrie." He chose his last name in tribute to French magician Jean Robert-Houdin. Here is a well-illustrated history of Houdini's career:

http://www.magictricks.com/houdini-biography.html

Today's puzzle had far too many shortened words (ACADS, ALTHO, BDAY) and foreign words (ANNI, ANTIPASTI, INRE, NEE, SAIS, SRA, STAT, STE, TORTE). There was no theme but two of the answers were NBC and SIMPLEASABC. The puzzle could easily have used television networks and channels as a theme. It could have included these additional clues and answers:

Truckers' radios: CBS
Sudden surge: SPIKE
Put one over on: FOX
Birth-to-death span: LIFETIME
Prominent characteristic: HALLMARK

Maybe next time.

rbe

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 12:10:11 PM »
Encyclopedia Britannica says Weisz: "Harry Houdini, original name Erik Weisz    (born March 24, 1874, Budapest [see Researcher’s Note]—died Oct. 31, 1926, Detroit, Mich., U.S.), American magician noted for his sensational escape acts".