CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Thu., 10/9 Robert E. Lee Morris  (Read 3615 times)

magus

Thu., 10/9 Robert E. Lee Morris
« on: October 09, 2014, 08:52:55 AM »
THEME:   phrases containing anagram of TRAIN   

GOOD ONES:       
Calamity {& theme}   TRAIN WRECK [in a way the spelling of TRAIN is wrecked]      

RATING: ;D      
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun      

Thomps2525

Re: Thu., 10/9 Robert E. Lee Morris
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 05:01:26 PM »
I'm always impressed when a puzzle maker can come up with a theme that involves various combinations of the letters of a particular word. I'm impressed that he can come up with the idea in the first place and I'm impressed that he can come up with the theme answers and I'm impressed that he can make them fit in the puzzle. That's a lot of being impressed!

Today's puzzle used four brand names, names which used to be taboo in crosswords: IBM, ATRA, QUIK and USA (as in the newspaper USA TODAY). One of the phrases in the puzzle was NOTIME, clued with "Seconds flat." People often say that something was done "in no time at all" but that isn't possible---everything takes some amount of time. That's the logician in me speaking.

Today's New York Times crossword by Samuel A. Donaldson was even more impressive than the puzzle mentioned above. The theme answers were ARODEF, TEMLEH, ORERBMOS, EKLUMRAY and REKLATSREED. The clue for 61-across was "Go crazy---or a hint on how to enter five answers in this puzzle." Get it?

The answer: FLIPONESLID. Flip one's lid, "lid" being an old slang term for a hat.