CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Sun., 9/21 C.C. Burnikel  (Read 4058 times)

magus

Sun., 9/21 C.C. Burnikel
« on: September 21, 2014, 09:19:38 AM »
THEME:   phrases containing TACO

GOOD ONES:     
Title:  Taco Filling   
Works at home, maybe   UMPS   
Time to swing   AT BAT [I thought hep cats]   
Lineman?   ACTOR   
Futures dealer?   PSYCHIC   
Men with manors   LORDS   
This and that   THOSE [not "a number of things"]   
Ballet support?   TOE [I think "supporter" might've better]   

BTW:   
Artist Yoko   ONO [that's what I say about her art]   

Nonsense   APPLESAUCE [last time I heard that I was 8 and my father caught me in a lie]   

Despensame, ENERO no es bueno.   

RATING: ;D ;D   
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

Thomps2525

Re: Sun., 9/21 C.C. Burnikel
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 03:11:12 PM »
Mister magus, when you write a columns about Sunday puzzles, why do you always omiT A COlumn about the Los Angeles Times puzzle? (See what I did there?)

SPOILER ALERT---Anyone who has not completed today's Times puzzle should stop reading now. Merl Reagle has included the names of nine Presidents and other political figures who "spent time at the backup position." The nine names appear in reverse order within longer words and phrases. ASMADASAHATTER includes ADAMS in reverse. RELYTOOMUCHON includes TYLER in reverse. KRISHNAMURTA includes TRUMAN in reverse. I'm amazed that Reagle came up with the idea. I'm even more amazed that he could find nine phrases with a name in reverse.

A nonce word is a word that is coined for a specific occasion. Often there are nonce words in puzzles. They aren't real words but the crossword maker can't find legitimate words to fill a certain area of the puzzle so he has to come up with clues for words that don't exist but technically could exist. In today's puzzle, Reagle was stuck with REROB. To make it into a word, he clued it as "Hit again, as the stage." We likely will never see REROB again.

magus

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 09:00:34 AM »
Yes, I saw what you did; wish I could say I were hungry for more.   ;)

Seriously, with your obvious enjoyment of words and your creative wordplay, why don't you make a puzzle.  Cruciverb has a place for member puzzles --- if you don't want to submit one to an editor.

Thomps2525

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 08:34:55 PM »
Many times I have attempted to create a 15x15 puzzle. I want to make a puzzle all by my lil' self without resorting to crossword software programs. I can come up with thousands of clever ideas and theme words but I've never been able to find enough legitimate fill words to complete a grid. If I could find clues for words such as RGME, ZOLH, DEPGL and IVFMY, I'd have a lot of puzzles I could post. I'll keep trying. Don't give up on me.