CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Wed., 9/17 Gareth Bain  (Read 3876 times)

magus

Wed., 9/17 Gareth Bain
« on: September 17, 2014, 09:15:52 AM »
THEME:   first word of a phrase can describe coconut

GOOD ONES:    
Fruit that can {theme}   COCONUT   
People people   CELEBS [People magazine subjects, not some affable types]   

BTW:   
"No more details, please!"   TMI [has this become so familiar that the clue need not indicate it is a texting abbreviation?  (In truth, though I don't "text," I somehow knew the term.)]   

Comic strip cry   ACK [I wouldn't know about comics, but I know this is not a real word but an abbr. for acknowledgement]   

"HIS Master's Voice" and CROONS(ER) Rudy Vallee are a good match --- wonder how many young solvers know these 90-year-old pop culture references.   

RATING:    ;D
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

rbe

Re: Wed., 9/17 Gareth Bain
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 01:12:12 PM »
"HIS Master's Voice" and CROONS(ER) Rudy Vallee are a good match --- wonder how many young solvers know these 90-year-old pop culture references. 

I've wondered that too, but then they know the latest rap singer. He could have gone with a more modern crooner like Bing Crosby.  ;)

Thomps2525

Re: Wed., 9/17 Gareth Bain
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 05:21:52 PM »
Young people probably think that "Rudy Vallee" is a region in France. :)

"Ack!" was a common expression of the titular character in Cathy Guisewite's Cathy strip and of Bill the Cat in Berkeley Breathed's Bloom County, Outland and Opus strips.

I've seen TMI, OMG, LOL, AOL, MSN, IPOD, IPAD and CELEB in a lot of puzzles lately. Crossword makers are probably thankful that modern technology has led to the creation of some new words and abbreviations for them to use.