CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Sun., 8/31 Pancho Harrison  (Read 3626 times)

magus

Sun., 8/31 Pancho Harrison
« on: August 31, 2014, 09:14:52 AM »
THEME:   photography terms adding a second meaning to common phrases

GOOD ONES:     
The IndyCar photographer used___   ZOOM LENSES   
The stressed out photographer___   FINALLY SNAPPED   
The fashion photographer worried about___  MODEL BEHAVIOR   
Play area   STAGE [I thought kids]   
Cab in a bottle, say   RED [I thought along the lines of a ship in a bottle, but with the surge in wine drinking of late, CAB is hip for cabernet]   
Farm workers   ANTS [in an ant farm]   

BTW:   
Schnauzer of fiction   ASTA [wrong!  It was a wire-hair fox terrier --- don't think this will go unreported to the AKC]   

Slip by   ELAPSE [in a way, but ELAPSE does not suggest anything but passage of time while "Slip by" suggests a loss]   

Dole out   ALLOCATE [same problem.  ALLOCATE suggests a particular distribution while "Dole out" means to give in small portions and suggests randomness]   

Foreign "gimme's" which I don't:  OTRO, sei, A MOI   

RATING: ;D ;D ;D   
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

Thomps2525

Re: Sun., 8/31 Pancho Harrison
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 08:23:01 PM »
I'm seeing way too many foreign words in puzzles: ETE, ESTA, OTRO, AGUA, MER, ALOHA, TETE, ENERO, OJO, OSO and mnay others. Aren't there enough words in the English language to meet the needs of puzzle makers?

The puzzle by Merl Reagle in today's Los Angeles Times includes OTOO. The clue is "Scoreless tie." I object to this answer for two reasons. First, when a soccer game, baseball game or hockey game is in progress and nobody has made a goal or scored a run, the game is not scoreless. Zero to zero is the score. Second, I consider it sloppy to use a zero to represent the letter O.....or vice-versa. Most people, when giving an address or phone number with a zero in it, will say O instead of zero. O is a letter and zero is a number. In other words, Merl, a score can not be O to O!