CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Wed., 8/27 Gareth Bain  (Read 3733 times)

magus

Wed., 8/27 Gareth Bain
« on: August 27, 2014, 09:39:18 AM »
THEME:   first word of a phrase can be preceded by T

GOOD ONES:    
Sporty car roofs {& theme}   T Tops   
Italian hot spot   ETNA [oldie but goodie]   
It can't help being negative   ELECTRON [I thought "Your mate"]    :)
Paris pop   PERE [not soda or music]   

BTW:   
Pre-A.D.   BCE [means "Before the Common Era" except I have no idea what the Common Era is or whether what came before it was "uncommon."  Actually it's just a term created by haters of religion or of Christianity, a word which might be changed to Commonanity --- you know, to go with BCE.  To quote Dylan, "I used to care, but things have changed."   

RATING: ;D   
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

wbg

Re: Wed., 8/27 Gareth Bain
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 10:51:18 AM »
This has nothing to do with the puzzle, but I don't think one needs to hate Christianity, or religion in general, to think that coming up with a label not explicitly referring to Christ for a now-universally-used dating system was a reasonable idea.  (I don't know just where "Common Era" came from either.)

Bill

magus

Re: Wed., 8/27 Gareth Bain
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 08:47:41 AM »
Hi, Bill---

You're right about a discussion regarding BCE not being a propos to this site.  I mentioned it because BCE is a neologism with political overtones.  Perhaps I was wrong to express my opinion about the term, but a little spice once in a while...

If you'd like to discuss the issue further, please contact me at magus@triad.rr.com or at www.anthonymagarello.com.   I simply can't figure out any other reason for its creation.