CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Sending puzzle to multiple newspapers?  (Read 6838 times)

brasarehot

Sending puzzle to multiple newspapers?
« on: May 17, 2014, 09:11:03 AM »
Are you allowed to send the same puzzle to multiple newspapers? What if two newspapers accept the same puzzle then what?

jorkel

Re: Sending puzzle to multiple newspapers?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 09:52:03 AM »
The rule is to send the puzzle to only one editor at a time, and wait for the reply... as painfully long as that may take.  If that first editor rejects the puzzle, then you can immediately send it to the next editor.  This can clearly takes months, but it's a professional courtesy to the editors.

dserian

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 06:45:38 PM »
How many puzzles should I attempt to submit at a time to Will Shortz? If I have two or three puzzles ready now, can I submit all of them together, or just one at a time?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 11:31:44 AM by dserian »

mmcbs

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 02:43:27 PM »
Check the publisher's guidelines (some specifically say you can send more puzzles before you've received replies on ones pending, others ask you not to send new puzzle or query before you've received replies on previous). If the specifications are silent, I would take it to mean you can send as many as you want, until they tell you otherwise. One point to note is that if your puzzle is rejected you are likely to get some feedback about why that may be helpful in your future work for that publisher.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/

dserian

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 05:41:04 PM »
Thank you for your response. The NY Times is silent on this subject, so I figure no more than two at a time would be ok.