CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Is "ACERATE' a good word for a themeless?  (Read 6029 times)

mrdrawerguy

Is "ACERATE' a good word for a themeless?
« on: March 25, 2014, 07:53:56 AM »
I plan it to go on a Friday or Saturday and it means "needle-shaped". Do you think it's worth it?

brasarehot

Re: Is "ACERATE' a good word for a themeless?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 09:06:47 PM »
It seems like an uncommon word to me. I wouldn't use it. A themeless puzzle should contain familiar words but very tricky clues.

Pangram~Man

Re: Is "ACERATE' a good word for a themeless?
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 03:14:23 PM »
IMO, I think 'acerate' is more than acceptable, it's just a matter of one's opinion, as well as who's doing the editing. On top of that, it's also plastered all over OneLook & learning a new term like acerate has it's pluses especially if you were to come across the word on say a documentary about plants, like I have with many words that I've picked up through crossword solving, as well as constructing.

For instance, I watched a documentary presented by David Attenborough and one of the animals highlighted in the doc was the "kob", an african antelope, a beautiful creature with an amazing set of horns; yet, kob has never been used ever in NYT crosswords, and acerate has only been used in pre-shortzian times - and, for whatever reasons these may entail, I'd like to know... ?

Overall, I'd love to see more ecology-based words throughout crosswords, as we have a serious overall lack of knowledge on an individual basis about what's in our own back yards, let alone what's going on our planet altogether.

Dave.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 08:33:08 PM by crossWORDboss »