CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Thu., 2/27 Gareth Bain  (Read 3804 times)

magus

Thu., 2/27 Gareth Bain
« on: February 27, 2014, 09:28:30 AM »
THEME:   last word of a phrase is an anagram of the name of the money used in the first word of the phrase

GOOD ONES:     
Place for a soak in Bangkok?  THAI BATH [baht]   
Mumbai baby food?   INDIAN PUREE [rupee]   
Low point in Oran?   ALGERIAN NADIR [dinar]   
Stance in a Mexican studio?   MEXICAN POSE [peso]   
Getting down   EATING [as in downing one's food, not being hip]   
It may come before one   NOON [it always does]   
Inflation causes   PUMPS [as for tires]   

BTW:   
Emergency fund {& theme}   MAD MONEY [the answer is an excellent entry to clue the theme, but "mad money" is not an "emergency fund" as much as "money one can spend without care."   

I thought Green Arrow was not a super hero, at least with power like Superman's.  But it's been awhile since I heard Green Arrow on the radio.   

"We're outta here!"   LET'S GO [bad translation: the clue means "we are on our way out"; it does not, as "let's go" does, suggest "we should leave."   

Mastermind   BRAINS [looks like a misprint in my newspaper --- a -S seems to be needed for the clue.  Unless one thinks of the phrase "mastermind behind it" in which case "BRAINS behind it" would work.  Still, I'd go with BRAIN in that the mastermind really has only one brain.]   

I am awed by the creativity it took to come up with this puzzle:  first the different moneys being scrambled to make an English word, then using the nation along with the scrambled money in a sensible phrase, and finally coming up with a clever theme-clue: Mad Money.   

RATING: ;D ;D ;D   
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun