Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Forgot your password?

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Google Ads

Author Topic: Sun., 11/3 Arthur S. Verdesca  (Read 609 times)

Sun., 11/3 Arthur S. Verdesca
« on: November 03, 2013, 09:08:22 AM »
THEME:   last letter of a phrase's first word is M; the first letter of the next word is D
Puzzle title people {theme}   MDS   
Eye protector   LID   
Big wind  TUBA   
Big wind   GALE [because of TUBA]   
Small-screen Bean   ORSON [he was an earlt TV personality --- I like the sound of the clue]   
Bird's org.   NBA   
Classic auto   REO [the clue is over-used --- what about "Old car"?  Or "Ritzy car" as "Ritzy" is from the same era.]   
Made-to-order   CUSTOM DESIGNED [the design of a made-to-order suit may be of a stock design]

I truly enjoyed the cluing throughout, and the literary references make me think Arthur is a onetime English teacher.

RATING:    ;D ;D ;D
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

Re: Sun., 11/3 Arthur S. Verdesca
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 01:47:01 PM »
BTW - Ransom E. Olds founded Oldsmobile and was later ousted from the company. He went on to found Reo, using his initials for the car's name. Both nameplates are now gone.

Re: Sun., 11/3 Arthur S. Verdesca
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 08:51:27 AM »
Hi, rbe---

One of the pleasures of Xwords is coming across words with certain associations and recollections.  For those who appreciate the language these stimuli are enriching.  Today HEALTHY MEAL struck a chord in me; Sunday REO did for you.  (I didn't know about him, so I'm glad you took the time to post it.)