CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Fri., 10/11 DuGuay-Carpenter & Gunderson  (Read 4430 times)

magus

Fri., 10/11 DuGuay-Carpenter & Gunderson
« on: October 11, 2013, 09:01:05 AM »
THEME:   final -K added to phrases creating new phrases, of a sort

GOOD ONES:    
Buff ancient ruler?   ATTILA THE HUNK   
Leaps over an oily mud puddle?   JUMPS THE GUNK   
Beef baloney?   HAMBURGER BUNK   
Start to stop?   ESS [stop starts with an s]   
Bottom line?   HEM   
Boxer's attendant   VET   
It's a wrap   STOLE   
Water whirled  EDDY   

BTW:   

Competitor's dream   TITLE [most competitions do not grant titles, so the clue needs modification]   

RATING: ;D ;D ;D   
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

ahimsa

Re: Fri., 10/11 DuGuay-Carpenter & Gunderson
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 02:25:08 PM »
I liked this one, too! Cute theme and several misdirections that caught me. I finished with no problem but that middle section slowed me down (Saran before STOLE, could not think of TBONE, etc.).

That clue for 68 Across (TITLE) didn't seem off to me. There are lots of competitions that do award a TITLE even if all of them don't.

Although it might have been cute to use the word boxer again. 29 Down (VET) was "Boxer's attendant." I was definitely thinking of a person, not a dog, even though I think I've seen that clue before (at least that type of clue, using boxer as a dog, maybe not that specific clue). So the clue for TITLE could be "Boxer's dream."

magus

Re: Fri., 10/11 DuGuay-Carpenter & Gunderson
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 09:21:40 AM »
Hi, Ahimsa---

As titles are not awarded by the vast majority of competitions, I believe the modifier at times is needed.  Admittedly this is a nit, but that's what I do.  Kind of like a gorilla picking nits from his partner.