CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Wed., 9/18 C.C. Burnikel  (Read 5214 times)

magus

Wed., 9/18 C.C. Burnikel
« on: September 18, 2013, 09:24:47 AM »
THEME:   names of (famous) twins crossed

GOOD ONES:    
Target Field team {& theme}   TWINS   
Private line?   ASIDE [in a play it's private from the other actors but not, of course, the audience]   
Duel tool?   EPEE   

BTW:   
I knew only one set of twins, and they're from the Bible.  Guess I'm not only not with it, I'm not near it.   

I was once with it, however.  I remember "Barbara Ann" was not an original hit by the Beach Boys; the Regents [?] did it first and sang her name "Barber Ann" --- hilarious!  It ranks up there with "silvonirs" [souvenirs] in the pantheon of Rock 'n' Roll "eek" producers.   

RATING: ;D ;D   
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

ahimsa

Re: Wed., 9/18 C.C. Burnikel
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 11:16:52 PM »
Hi again! Just catching up on this week's LA Times puzzles.

I managed to recognize all the sets of twins. They are the Bush daughters (JENNA and BARBARA), some former child actors (MARY KATE and ASHLEY-- still acting? who knows...), mythical Gemini twins (CASTOR and POLLUX), and the Biblical pair.

However, the names used to get those twin names to cross were pretty tough. E.g., I know about the Twilight books/movies but I don't know the names of the characters. I had only a vague idea of the Judd sisters. And then so many other names! Super Bowl MVP crossing a Twilight character, American Idol winner crossing a composer, "first name in shipping" (still don't get that), comic strip creator, etc. I knew a few but had a lot of guesses. It's amazing that I only ended up with only one wrong letter.

So, the basic idea was cute but the puzzle as a whole was not my cup of tea. I prefer more words/phrases and fewer names.

Thanks for the bit of trivia about Barbara Ann--and the mondegreen! (misheard lyrics)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 11:39:36 PM by ahimsa »

rbe

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 12:06:33 AM »
ARI - First name in shipping. Refers to Aristotle Onassis, the Greek shipping magnate that married Jackie Kennedy.

ahimsa

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 05:23:16 PM »
Thanks for the info, rbe. I knew about Onassis only due to his marriage to the former first lady. I did not know about any connection to shipping.