CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: New Blog site for Crosswords  (Read 10795 times)

Cleveland A. McElfresh

New Blog site for Crosswords
« on: November 06, 2010, 11:28:37 PM »
I'll be updating my blog for crosswords hopefully once a day with a new puzzle. The URL is: www.downrightoutcrossing.com 
Feel free to check it out. Please pass it on to other if you like it yourself, and as always comments and criticism is welcome!

Also, right now I can only post PDFs of my puzzles, does anyone know how to post .puz files to wordpress?

Thanks!

Alex

gvenkatesh

Re: New Blog site for Crosswords
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 07:36:18 PM »
Also, right now I can only post PDFs of my puzzles, does anyone know how to post .puz files to wordpress?

See response to your Etc forum post.
http://www.cruciverb.com/index.php?topic=1021.msg2162#msg2162

Cleveland A. McElfresh

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 12:43:40 PM »
This works! Thanks; the only problem is that it can't embed...I don't know if that matters all that much, but if you look at the site, it goes to a link. I can't change that on the HTML editor...aroo?

gvenkatesh

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 01:12:56 PM »
This works! Thanks; the only problem is that it can't embed...I don't know if that matters all that much, but if you look at the site, it goes to a link. I can't change that on the HTML editor...aroo?

Have sent you e-mail with details. Better to use the share link than the embed link.

This will work although it would be nicer if the crossword is embedded in the blog itself than make people click on a link. But latest version of WordPress requires that you have Editor (or higher) permissions (they call them roles) to insert HTML code like the embed code and have it appear inline. Otherwise it allows simple links but strips all HTML. Blog owners can easily become Editors for their blogs.

If you have editor permissions, then placing the embed code while editing will look something like below in the WordPress HTML tab (you will copy and paste the embed code provided by the service for your uploaded crossword, of course). It won't show in the Visual tab but it will appear when you publish. If you don't have Editor or higher role than it will not appear in the published post either.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 01:15:58 PM by gvenkatesh »

Cleveland A. McElfresh

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 08:15:48 PM »
I'm an administrator, but when I go to the Users tab it won't let me change to an Editor. As of right now, the embed frame is what I put in which looks like that image, but then it changes to a regular link when published.

gvenkatesh

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 08:45:09 PM »
Administrator trumps Editor! You are set up fine. WP loves to remove iframe tags. Use the code snippet under Method 2 in your myPuzzle page, the one with the span tag that looks like the one in the screenshot above not the Method 1 with the iframe tag. Make sure you copy and paste that entire snippet while you are in the HTML tab not the Visual tab.

Cleveland A. McElfresh

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 02:28:38 PM »
Doing that just makes so nothing shows up. It doesn't even have the puzzle....

gvenkatesh

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 09:50:57 PM »
Looks like there is some setting in your blog that is stripping all HTML from your posts.

On second thoughts, from looking at what you are doing on your blog, putting the share link is probably the better idea anyway, since you do not want an interactive crossword for every post on the main page (it makes more sense if it is embedded in a separate page for the post than the home index).

Just use the share link directly from your myPuzzle page rather than the embed link which gets redirected to the share link anyway.