CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: The Sun Puzzle  (Read 57070 times)

admin

• Administrator
The Sun Puzzle
« on: October 13, 2008, 02:22:55 PM »
First, please bear with us. It might take a bit to iron out all the wrinkles. Let me cover some of the things that I'm sure will come up:

1)  You need to be logged in and you need to be a subscriber to get the Sun Puzzle.

2) If you made a Paypal payment to be an official subscriber but you are not being recognized as a subscriber, please send an email to kmccann AT cruciverb.com for now.  Peter Gordon will soon be the point person and I will provide his contact info shortly.

3)  If you are clicking on a link to get a particular Sun puzzle you may run into problems if you are trying to get it to open directly in Across Lite. For me it seems to work fine in Internet Explorer but I get errors in Firefox. I'll try to solve the issue. In the meantime, please just save the puzzle to yout hard drive and then open manually in Across Lite.

4)  If you have issues with the memberships (eg you made a recent donation and think you deserve a subscription), you need to take that up with the editor, Peter Gordon. I will provide his contact info shortly.

I'm sure other issues will come up.

joon pahk

Re: The Sun Puzzle
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 12:38:15 AM »
is it possible to disable the big "subscribe to the sun puzzles" banner for members who are already subscribers?

admin

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 12:44:15 AM »
is it possible to disable the big "subscribe to the sun puzzles" banner for members who are already subscribers?

Yes, it's possible. Other things ot worry about at the moment though.
- km

karenusr

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 12:46:17 AM »
I have just subscribed to the Sun puzzles - will there be a whole week at a time uploaded (as before on wij's site?) or will there only be the current daily puzzle available?

Thx

admin

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 01:02:17 AM »
I have just subscribed to the Sun puzzles - will there be a whole week at a time uploaded (as before on wij's site?) or will there only be the current daily puzzle available?

Thx

Hi,

Well, wij's site pointed to puzzles that were placed on another site, and I take it puzzles were loaded up on that other site in weekly bunches. That will not be the case with the subscription-based Sun Crossword. Similar to the New York Times, the Sun Crossword will become available at 10:00PM Eastern time (I still have to set up the scheduling job for this). If you go to the Sun Archive link you'll always know which puzzles are available.

Best,
Kevin

« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 01:28:22 AM by Kevin McCann »

CrosswordBeast

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 07:40:15 AM »
Kevin, when I signed up for the Sun puzzle via PayPal, then pressed the "Return to Merchant" button, it tried to return me to this address (but of course could not):

http://www.cruciverb.com%3e%0a%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%3cinput%20type=/

Bob

admin

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 07:50:37 AM »
Thanks, Bob.

Beth_Willenborg

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 07:57:26 AM »
I can not open the Sun Puzzle with either open or save.  I use IE7.  I get error reading file and file not Across.  Thanks!

CrosswordBeast

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 08:00:53 AM »
Kevin, I subscribed to the Sun puzzle this morning, but when I try to download today's puzzle (sun081014.puz), I get a zero-byte file.

Bob

admin

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 08:05:22 AM »
Kevin, I subscribed to the Sun puzzle this morning, but when I try to download today's puzzle (sun081014.puz), I get a zero-byte file.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Please go the Sun Archive for instructions and options. There are issues with some browsers for some people. Working on it

http://www.cruciverb.com/puzzles.php?op=showarch&pub=sun

CrosswordBeast

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 08:36:19 AM »
Kevin, I brought up the Sun archive as you suggested, and clicked on the "14" in the October calendar, and still got a zero-byte file.  But then I chose the e-mail option, and that brought the puzzle to me intact.

I'm using IE v7 unser XP SP3.

Bob

brn2rnjk1

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 08:41:51 AM »
Just subscribed to the sun but says I am not a subscriber.  How long should it take.  I used PayPal.

Thanks,
Jim

Papa John

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 09:45:26 AM »
I subscribed but when attempting to download Sun puzzle, I get a message saying it's not an Across Lite file. I tried to save it and open it manually, yet got the same message. I'm using Vista IE 7.

Later: Yikes! I tried to open the Sun puzzle I download to my hard drive through Across Lite and AVG popped up saying that the file contained a threat, specifically a "backdoor" Trojan. What the hey is going on?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 10:02:49 AM by Papa John »

admin

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2008, 09:55:16 AM »
I subscribed but when attempting to download Sun puzzle, I get a message saying it's not an Across Lite file. I tried to save it and open it manually, yet got the same message. I'm using Vista IE 7.

Yes, this is a real bugger. Please go to the Sun Archive page and try getting the puzzle by email. I will be working on the download problems tonight.

- Kevin

Papa John

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2008, 11:45:53 AM »
Kevin, apparently you missed my later addendum:

Later: Yikes! I tried to open the Sun puzzle I download to my hard drive through Across Lite and AVG popped up saying that the file contained a threat, specifically a "backdoor" Trojan. What the hey is going on?